Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

'Tis the Season for "Scary" Movies

"It's pretty much my favorite scary movie."

In the midst of so much social-political upheaval with many people braving the streets to Occupy/De-Colonize their respective local spaces of governmental oppression, I feel somewhat guilty about enjoying the funstivities of Halloween, which for me consist mainly of watching scary movies non-stop.


Since I am torn between 1) the outrage at our government and its long history of soulless exploitation of its citizens, which is finally becoming evident to the masses and 2) the guilty pleasure of watching scary movies during the Halloween season, I have decided to provide you, my dear reader, with film recommendations for both categories of interest...all "scary" in their own right.

So here we go...

Category 1:  Movies that made me think, "Oh shit," and didn't let me sleep at night (and made me want to buy a gun and learn how to distill my own urine for drinking water).

Not just informative, but well developed and engaging.  Plus, many of them are available on YouTube or are a "Watch Now" option on Netflix.  So, "occupy" your laptop or DVD player and fulfill your American duty by watching these documentaries.

(Click on titles for synopsis and film info.)


Collapse (2009)
Watch. This. Movie.

 


Loose Change 9/11: An American Coup (2009)
Watch this movie, too.  Guaranteed to shake your faith in our government
(like, more than it already is).

 


Will make you start planning for a future with a totally different means of energy source/commerce.  Think Mad Max.  As in, motorcycles and assless chaps.



Food, Inc. (2009)
Monsanto is the devil.  Start gardening and harvesting them seeds, people!



Blue Gold: World Water Wars (2008)
Makes you want to learn how to distill your own urine for drinking water.



Pilón Pick: Bringing it all together.

 Not a documentary, but gives you faith in U.S. people of color revolution.
"Scary" probably only to the white establishment.



Category 2:  Movies that made me think, "Oh shit," and didn't let me sleep at night (and made me want to buy a gun and learn how to distill my own urine for drinking water).

I'm opting for subcategories here because, damnit, there are so many good horror movies out there!

Subcategory 2A: Great foreign horror/suspense/psychological thriller movies that you may have missed or seen in bad, dumbed-down U.S. remakes.  Ugh.

There are many, but I narrowed them down as much as I could.  Enjoy!


Ils (Them) (2006)
You'll feel like you can't breathe the entire time.



Nothing scarier than a little kid wearing a jacked up sack-mask.



El espinazo del diablo (The Devil's Backbone) (2001)
Endearing and scary all at the same time.



Don't let the bad U.S. remake of this film dissuade you from watching it.  It's really good.



Endearing and haunting.



Requiem (2006)
"Hauntingly dark and beautiful" -Lucha Dora's Unapologetic Blogspot.



Haute tension (High Tension) (2003)
High tension until the end, which makes you question the entire film plot.  Love it or hate it.



***Some "Oldies but Goodies" (two of which strangely enough, involve VHS tapes)***


Saw this movie many, many years ago but it left a huge impact on my psyche.




Ringu (The Ring) (1998)
The visual aesthetic in this movie influenced the entire horror film genre, in my opinion.




Entire movie is build-up to really messed-up (in a good way) ending.




 Subcategory 2B:  Scary movies that are also funny...but still scary movies. 


I freaking LOVE this movie. Period.


You will love the main character.  Poor guy.



Zombieland (2009)
Didn't wanna like it but I did.



Army of Darkness (1992)
Admittedly not a superfan, but when talking about this comedy-horror film genre this is, like, the poster child.



And now for my favorite category...

Subcategory B3:  My "favorites" category!

Oh god, where to begin?  There are so many!  Aaahhh!!!!

Okay, so I was finally able to narrow down my top "13" (get it?).  Yes, I'm leaving a lot out, but these were the top choices that came to mind.


My all-time favorite.



A very close second.



The movie that inspired the slasher film genre.
And that has, arguably, the best horror movie theme song.  



Picks up right where the first leaves off.  
And John Carpenter's final involvement in the Halloween series.



The reason I won't have kids.



"I'm not gonna hurt you.  I'm just gonna bash your brains in!"
Also how I felt in Minnesota.



Great social commentary with an unheard of black protagonist-hero.



The great granddaddy of them all.



Changed the zombie film genre forever.



Super eerie with a great twist ending.



Paranormal Activity (2007)
Yes, the protagonist's boyfriend is super annoying but this movie is low-budget, independent horror filmmaking at its finest.  Love it or hate it.


 
"Put the lotion in the basket."
I wanted to study forensic psychology until I saw this movie and had vivid nightmares.  
I then switched to social psychology.  True story.



Possibly the best opening scene in a movie.



Again, not a definitive list, but a good start.  Consider this a Halloween treat from me to you.  Now go out and enjoy some movies, peoples!

No comments:

Post a Comment